Happy International Day of the Girl
Posted on October 11, 2013, by Half the Sky Movement Team
This year marks the second International Day of the Girl to recognize girls’ rights and increase awareness of the inequality faced by girls worldwide. For its second observance, this day will focus on “Innovating for Girls’ Education.” While there has been progress in improving access to education, many girls continue to be deprived of this basic right due to financial, security, institutional and cultural barriers.
As a community, let’s change the lives of girls together and propel girls’ education forward! There are many ways to get involved and make a difference.
Check out our partners who are doing amazing work to educate girls and support the advancement of girl's and women's rights worldwide -- like Room to Read, which is building libraries and schools, Camfed and Shining Hope, which are providing schooling to girls in Africa, Afghan Institute of Learning and so many more!
- Choose a project on Catapult.
- Support The Girl Effect's The Girl Declaration.
- Bake cupcakes with She's the First.
- Wear Sevenly to help prevent sexual abuse of girls in Liberia.
- Join a Girl Up club.
- Donate to the Malala Fund.
- Snap a photo and Johnson & Johnson will donate $1 to CARE or Save the Children.
- Learn about UN Women & the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts's Voices Against Violence campaign.